Welcome to Hamilton
Locals Know best!
How do you find the best of the best when you are staying in
a city you don't know? Local knowledge!
Every business featured on What's Up in Your Pocket
has been recommended
by locals, so you can be confident you'll have a great experience when you visit them.
New Zealandâs fourth largest city, Hamilton is a thriving metropolitan hub on the banks of the Waikato
With great shopping, a diverse arts scene, vibrant nightlife, award-winning restaurants and artisan
producers, Hamilton has all the buzz youâd expect from a big city mixed with the relaxed lifestyle Kiwis are
Top 10 Activities for Family Fun
The Hamilton & Waikato region has something to suit the
whole family. Warning: you may never want to leave!
Here's a sample:
1. Experience the magic of glowworms at the Waitomo Caves. Enjoy the world-famous boat ride, gliding under thousands of twinkling glowworms.
2. Visit Sanctuary Mountain Maungatautari, Otorohanga Kiwi
House and Native Bird Park to get up close to native wildlife
and their natural habitats.
3. Explore the themed Hamilton Gardens and pick up an
activity sheet from the Visitor Centre for the kids. The
gardens include traditional MÄori, Japanese, American
modernist, Italian Renaissance just to name a few!
4. Enjoy an animal encounter at Hamilton Zoo. There's even
the chance to go behind the scenes and get a private
'Eye2Eye' or 'Face2Face'.
5. Visit the Waikato Museum, with fun, interactive exhibitions
designed specifically for children.
6. If the weather calls for indoor activities, there's a heap of
fun things to do advertised in this book.
7. Take the family out on one of the regionâs numerous cycling
and/or walking tracks. There are hundreds of kilometres to
8. Relax with a picnic at Hamilton Lake while the kids enjoy
the adventure playground.
9. Take the family along to see the lush green hills and hobbit
holes within them at Hobbiton Movie Set. You may even run
into Pickles, the resident cat!
10. Get out on the water with a range of water activities. Dig
your own natural hot water spa at Kawhia, or give kayaking
or stand up paddle-boarding a try in Raglan Harbour.
We wish you an enjoyable stay